The Beginnings of Serbian Religious Life in Northern England
The religious life of Serbs in northern England dates back to 1948. In December 1947, the first group of displaced Serbs arrived from the Munster camp in Germany to the area of today’s parish. They all came to England as “European Free Workers”. Upon entering Great Britain, they received one English pound at the time, which was the only material means for most of them at that time. They signed a three-year contract with the British authorities and committed themselves to work in mines, textile factories or farms. Work in these industries did not require knowledge of the English language, which they generally did not speak. Farm workers were sent to Scotland, while those who worked in textile factories and mines came to Yorkshire.
Patriarchal roots and religious tradition
All these immigrants came from patriarchal Serbian families. They were raised in the Orthodox faith, Serbian tradition, and were anti-communists. The Orthodox faith, which they had nurtured in their homes from an early age, they carried in their souls and kept as their greatest treasure. As soon as they had somehow managed to get by and settled down, they began to feel the need to establish a religious life. They began to organize themselves and find Orthodox priests who would serve them holy services and perform other religious duties. At first, all this was done in modest conditions, with very limited material resources. However, they all worked with strong faith in God, hope for a better tomorrow, and determination characteristic of Serbs. And they succeeded.
The idea of buying a church
Over time, the material condition of our people improved, and the awareness of the need to own religious buildings became more and more relevant. In mid-1952, the idea of buying a church was born. Hieromonk Justinian Ilkic formed the Committee for the Purchase of a Church. The first president of this committee was Major Petar Vukadinovic, and the first treasurer was Vlastimir Štulovic. Trustees were appointed in each place, who collected donations in their communities and sent them to the chief treasurer.
Consecration of the church
In the summer of 1953, Hieromonk Justinian Ilkic went to Montreal, Canada, and on December 18, 1953, Protosigner Valerian Štrbac took over the duties of parish priest. He continued the work he had begun and, with the Church Purchase Committee, prepared everything necessary for the consecration of the church and home. The consecration took place on September 26, 1954. This was the official beginning of the work of the Serbian Orthodox Parish of the Holy Trinity. His Majesty King Peter II Karađorđević attended this consecration.
Development of the Parish
In the mid-1970s, due to the increase in Serbian families and the increase in the number of believers, consideration began to be given to purchasing a new worship center. The existing building had become too small for the needs of the community. A building that would suit the new situation was found and the parish continued its development.

