Parish and Church Community in Birmingham

Establishment

In 1947/48, many Serbian exiles from Yugoslavia were recruited from the Displaced Persons camps in Germany to work in Britain in factories, mines and agriculture. Over 10,000 Orthodox Serbs came to this country. They lived in industrial and agricultural hostels and services were held in the homes of Serbian priests, Anglican churches and in chapels in hostels. After demobilisation, when there was more work, immigrants were allowed to seek other jobs, and many settled in industrial cities such as Birmingham. Thus was created the nucleus of the present parish of St. Prince Lazarus.

Temple  Before Lazarica – Old Lazarica
In 1947, a tenement house was purchased in Middleton Hall Street in Cottage, Birmingham, where a flat was created for the priest, Father Radovan Miljković. Father Radovan worked tirelessly to gather Orthodox Serbs in central England around Birmingham, and travelled far and wide to find Serbs who were still in hostels. A small chapel was created on the ground floor, in a room overlooking the garden, which was remodelled, extended and consecrated in 1959. Until 1954/55, most of the faithful were men because by then families, women and children had been prevented by the communist regime from leaving Yugoslavia, and many young people were not yet married.

The construction of Lazarica

As the number of believers increased, the decision was made to buy the land on which the church now stands. It was then a small grove in the centre of Bournville, owned by the famous Cadbury family. They offered the land at a very reasonable price, so the foundation stone was laid in 1965. The late Father Milenko Zebić had the idea and dream of building a Serbian Orthodox Church. . He was ordained in 1958 in small Lazarica, where he replaced Father Radovan Miljković, who had gone to America. . With his devout fellow exiles, he began work on building a church. People sacrificed themselves, physically and materially, to build for themselves and future generations a place to pray and praise God. The church was built under the patronage of Prince Tomislav, Prince of Yugoslavia, and Princess Margarita, who were later joined by Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia, and in 1968, with great joy and in the presence of over 6,000 people, the Lazarica Church was consecrated.

Architecture and Frescoes

The church is a unique example of the Moravian style from the 14th century and is dedicated to Saint Prince Lazar of Kosovo, and part of his relics are found in the foundations of the church. The marble for the floor and walls, sandstone columns, walnut wood inlaid with copper, the chandelier and much more were brought from Serbia and have a symbolic connection to the holy places there. The architect was a Serb, Dr. Dragomir Tadić, who worked in collaboration with Mr. S. J. Klever, the chief architect of the Bournville Village Trust. The frescoes that cover the walls of the church are the work of the Serbian artist, Dušan Mihajlović and are faithful copies of the most famous frescoes in Serbia. It is these beautiful frescoes that delight visitors when they first enter the church. Lazarica is proof and a reminder of the strength and power of faith. Those who came to Britain after the Second World War, who lost all their earthly possessions, their friends, their families, their homeland and even their youth, brought with them their faith and their need to follow the example of Jesus Christ, Saint Sava and Saint Prince Lazar. This church is their legacy.

Priests of the Parish

Radovan Miljković Archpriest – Stavrophorus 1952-1961

Milenko Zebić Archpriest – Stavrophorus 1962-2015

Aleksandar Zebić Archpriest – Stavrophorus 1992-2010

Nenad Popović Archpriest – Stavrophorus 2015 to present

Saint Sava Missionary

Saint Sava Missionary

A monthly bulletin sharing the Orthodox Faith, spiritual reflections, and the latest news from across our Diocese. Join our mailing list and be among the first to receive the inaugural issue.

This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.