Parish and Church Community in Bedford

The Serbian Orthodox Parish of Bedford was founded in 1952. The first parish priest was Father B. Uvalić, who remained in the parish from 1952 to 1956. After him, the parish was occasionally served by Archpriest Miloje Nikolić, the parish priest of London, and from 1958 to 1959 by the parish priest Todor Kukolj. And again there was a break when parish priests from London served until 1962, when the priest Srboljub Bujić came as the parish priest, but he too left for America in 1965.

The parish was again served by the parish priests from London, Archpriests Miloje Nikolić and Vladimir Rodzjanko, as well as the priest Žarko Gavrilović from Belgrade. In 1971, and from 1972, the proto-vicar Milan Čekerevac arrived and remained at the parish for five full years, until 1976. There was another one-year break, and then the current parish priest, priest Vidak Vuković, took over.

Priest Vidak Vuković was born on June 18, 1953, in Bijelo Polje (Boka Kotorska), where he completed his primary education. He completed the seminary of the Holy Three Hierarchs at the Krka Monastery from 1969 to 1974. He was ordained to the rank of deacon by Bishop G. Lawrence on January 28, 1976 in Birmingham, and to the rank of presbyter on October 9 of the same year in Bedford.

At the parish of St. Andrew the First-Called in Bedford, according to the information provided by the parish priest, the following were the presidents of the church communities: Aga Piletić, Jovo Kolundžija, Obrad Ilić, Drago Asanović and Milan Jelisavčić, the current president. Drago Asanović was elected honorary president for life of this community.

Saint Sava Missionary

Saint Sava Missionary

A monthly bulletin sharing the Orthodox Faith, spiritual reflections, and the latest news from across our Diocese. Join our mailing list and be among the first to receive the inaugural issue.

This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site. Switch to a production site key to remove this banner.